Chemical Peels at Dr.Sohana’s Skin & Laser Clinic
What is a Chemical Peel?
Chemical peels, also known as chemexfoliation or derma-peeling, use a chemical on the face which makes the skin peel off allowing new skin to replace it. The new, regenerated skin is usually smoother and less wrinkled than the old skin. Chemical Peels exfoliate the outer layers of dead skin, revealing a new skin layer with improved tone, texture, and color. In addition to full facial rejuvenation, certain types of skin peels can also be used for spot treatments and as a way to remove stretch marks or rejuvenate skin elsewhere on the body.
What conditions does a chemical peel treat?
Chemical peels are performed on the face, neck or hands. They can be used to:
- Reduce fine lines under the eyes and around the mouth.
- Treat wrinkles caused by sun damage, ageing and hereditary factors.
- Improve the appearance of mild scarring.
- Treat certain types of acne.
- Reduce age spots, freckles and dark patches due to pregnancy or taking contraceptive pills
- Improve the look and feel of skin that is dull in texture and color.
How are chemical peels performed?
The skin is thoroughly cleansed with an agent that removes excess oils and the eyes and hair are protected. One or more chemical solutions, such as glycolic acid, trichloroacetic acid, salicylic acid, lactic acid or carbolic acid (phenol), are applied to small areas on the skin. These applications produce a controlled wound, enabling new, regenerated skin to appear.
Dr.Sohana’s Skin & Laser Clinic offers following types of skin peels:
- Glycolic peel : This is one of the deep, intensive skin treatments focusing on the resurfacing and renewing of the epidermis. It is an effective and versatile skin therapy for treatment of acne, hyper-pigmentation, sun damage, large pores, and wrinkles using glycolic acid.These are used to improve and smooth the texture of the skin of the face by removing its damaged outer layers.
- Trichloroacetic acid (TCA)peel : The TCA skin peel is one of the skin peel acids which is non-comodogenic and actually kills acne causing bacteria and stops pimples immediately. For the next several days the skin will start to peel and reveal a much younger and more radiant look.
- Salicylic acid peel : Beta hydroxy acid content present in this peel work by breaking the bonds that hold dead skin cells in place. This allows the cells to be easily removed leaving behind healthier, newer looking skin. One advantage of salicylic acid peels is that the anti-inflammatory properties of salicylic acid helps to prevent problems such as irritation occurring after the treatment. It is soluble in lipids so the pills can penetrate oily skin better to clean the pores more effectively and remove dirt, dust and any accumulated sebum.
- Vitamin A (Retinol) Peel : A Vitamin A (Retinol)Peel is a mild to moderate peel which is suitable for clients with Acne, Pigmentation (melasme /chloasma), and who are looking for Anti-ageing, skin rejuvenation and a more even skin tone.The Vitamin Peel is suitable for all skin types and will gentle remove dead skin cells and promote a healthier looking skin.The peel is used in combination with a skin care range which will be discussed at your consultation.